Ashley, the urgent thing here is not the agent. It is the contingency clock on the house she already agreed to buy, and I would look at that contract today. Most contingent purchase contracts contain a kick-out clause, sometimes called a bump clause. It lets the seller of the new house keep marketing it, and if they receive another acceptable offer, your stepdaughter gets a short window, often 72 hours, to remove her sale contingency or lose the house. If that clause is in her contract, the real deadline is not "when does the current house sell," it is "what happens the day the other seller gets a better offer." Pull that contract out and find out three things: is there a kick-out clause, what is the notice period, and is there an outside date by which the contingency must be satisfied regardless. Everything else follows from those answers. Now on the agent. I want to gently separate two things that are getting bundled together. The eight-day prediction was a mistake, and the bigger mistake was saying it to multiple parties in the other transaction, because that set expectations for people who are now making decisions based on it. That was unprofessional. But 23 days on market is not, by itself, evidence of a bad agent. In a lot of markets 23 days is completely ordinary. The optimistic forecast is a red flag about judgment, not proof of failure. So diagnose before you decide. Ask the agent for these specific numbers, in writing: How many showings, and how many in the last week versus the first week. What is the written feedback from each showing. What is the current average days on market for comparable homes in this price band, not the whole market. What have comparable homes actually closed for in the last ninety days, and where does our list price sit against them. What is the plan for the next two weeks, specifically. The pattern in the answers tells you the whole story. Lots of showings and no offers means the price is wrong. Very few showings means the pricing or the marketing exposure is wrong. If the answer is "be patient, the market is slow," with no numbers behind it, that is when you have a real problem, and it is a problem of process rather than of luck. If the diagnosis is price, the fix is a price reduction now rather than in three weeks, because the contingency clock is running and every week of hesitation costs her leverage on the house she actually wants. If the diagnosis is the agent, here is the order of operations. Talk to the agent directly first, with the numbers in front of you. If that goes badly, contact the broker of record, meaning the licensed broker the agent works under, not the agent. Brokers often reassign a listing to another agent in the office rather than lose it, and that is faster and less painful than a cancellation. Read the listing agreement for its cancellation terms and its protection period, meaning the window after cancellation during which the brokerage may still claim compensation if a buyer they introduced comes back. One thing to be careful about, and it is the reason I would not rush to fire anyone this week. Changing agents mid-listing resets days on market in some MLS systems and not in others, and relisting can also signal to buyers that something is wrong. In the middle of a contingency clock, the disruption may cost more than it gains. Fix the price first if price is the problem. Change agents only if the process is broken. And one practical option worth raising with her: if the current house does not sell in time, ask whether bridge financing or a short extension from the other seller is possible. Sellers frequently grant an extension rather than start over, particularly if the current house is under contract or close to it. That conversation should be had before the deadline, not after. I am a real estate professional, not an attorney, and I have not read either contract. Given that there is a contingent purchase and real money at risk, having a local real estate attorney read the kick-out language is worth every dollar. I am Zoltan Peresztegi, and I work Los Angeles and the South Bay, so Wilmington is outside my market. If she wants a genuinely independent second opinion on the pricing, I am glad to connect her with a local agent who will give a straight read without pitching for the listing. Zoltan


